Saturday, July 20, 2024

Hiking and Horseback Riding

 After a few busy days at national parks, we took some down time to play, hike and explore near where we stayed. The campground had a playground and mini golf that the kids really enjoyed. They were there constantly when we were at the campsite. We also hiked right across from the campground attempting to see a near by ghost town, but we must have taken a wrong turn somewhere because we ended up back at our campsite. Oh well. It’s all about the journey, right?


Our kiddos at the campground-Lincoln, Liam, Annabelle, Caleb, Logan, Liam and Josh 

Hiking to the ghost town 

Ema & Logan 

Me & Liam 

Blowing dandelions and making wishes 

Scrambling up rocks 


Dave took the boys to play frisbee golf in Custer 


I took the littles to Horatio’s in Custer for ice cream 🍦 


One of my favorite hikes was up to Cathedral Spires. It was the original place Gutzon Borglum had looked at sculpting Mount Rushmore, but decided against it both because of the type of rock, but also he said he couldn’t improve on what God had created. It was about a 3 mile round trip hike, scrambling up rocks in some places which my boys loved. The views were stunning and it was a peaceful, unique place. 




The Boyer crew 

The Arnold family 

Me & my boys 





We all reached the end of the trail (and were worn out)! 





These guys loved climbing up the rocks with Dave 

Annabelle took a tumble in a muddy creek on the way up, but I’m proud of how she dusted herself off and kept going. 

On our way out of the Black Hills Annabelle and I went on a trail ride in Black Hills National Forest. She’s been asking to ride a horse and was really excited.  We went to the stables at the local KOA (which is the second largest in the nation), met our guide Claire and got introduced to our horses for the ride. She rode Bo and I rode IPod. It was a gorgeous day and really nice scenery. Annabelle was very serious on the ride, but I think she had a good time. I had a horse that only wanted to eat and they asked us to not let the horses snack, so I felt like I spent a lot of the time pulling up on the reins. Overall it was a great experience and I’m so glad we got to do it together. While we were riding Dave took the boys for a hike around Lake Sylvan. Afterwards we said goodbye to the Black Hills and made our way to Devil’s Tower. 

Me, IPod, Annabelle and Bo ready to ride! 

Our trail ride through the Black Hills National Forest. We were on a hunt for chipmunks and found 18 during our time. 

Annabelle was pretty serious and focused during the ride. 

The boys at Sylvan Lake 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Stop Vicksburg, MS

 From the Ozarks we drove to Pelatachie, MS to camp at Jellystone Park. We had a great time swimming in the pool, sliding, and playing in th...