Sunday, July 7, 2024

Boondocking in the Badlands

 When Dave says “I have a crazy idea” I brace myself a little. They usually work out, but definitely push me outside my comfort zone. His idea this time was to boondock, which is camping in open land instead of a campground. There are no amenities, but it’s free and has gorgeous views. We found a nice spot in Buffalo Gap National Grasslands near the Badlands in South Dakota. 


Our set up 

Our gorgeous view and wind blown selves 

This bucket toilet was definitely a low point in boondocking, but definitely better than nothing. 





As we were setting up it started to rain. Great. We were camping in the middle of nowhere, trying to fight off mosquitos, and having to hold an umbrella over ourselves to pee in a bucket. I thought “I’m never doing this again” when the rain stopped and a double rainbow slowly appeared over the grasslands. To say it was stunning is an understatement. What a gorgeous reminder of God’s beauty and goodness. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Stop Vicksburg, MS

 From the Ozarks we drove to Pelatachie, MS to camp at Jellystone Park. We had a great time swimming in the pool, sliding, and playing in th...